Re: FAQ: Wiring a shop

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, <swhiteh3@mpdr0.detroit.mi.ameritech.net>,
Subject: Re: FAQ: Wiring a shop
From: "Tim Mullen" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 07:06:39 -0700
> Scott Whitehead <swhiteh3@mpdr0.detroit.mi.ameritech.net> wrote:
>
>I found a GREAT deal on mine at Costco.  I bought it for about $40 or
>$50, and the retractor and mount is extremely high quality for the
>price. <...>

I bought one of these also a couple of months ago.  It seems to be quite
good - open real and all metal.  And no leaks so far, although I don't keep
my system pressurized all the time - only when in use...  Not bad for less
than $50.  By the way, they don't always have them in stock, I had to
keep checking back...

I also have another "cheapie" reel.  Plastic case and leaks a little air at
the inlet, but not bad.  I think I got it at Harbor Freight maybe 15 years
ago - maybe $30 bucks at the time.  It's still working fine.  The old one is
mounted to the ceiling in the middle of my garage, the new one is mounted
near the garage door so I can use air on the driveway.  The problem with
both of the reels is the limited amount of hose - maybe 25 to 30 feet
(remember you have to account for the drop from the ceiling).  But then I
also have a couple of extra hoses coiled hanging on a hook on the wall...

I would like a "real" reel, that holds 100 ft or more, but not for 2-3 hundred
bucks...  If I was out fitting a new shop, I'd go for a couple of the $50
Costco
ones...

Tim Mullen