Re: Welding vs. Brazing was "Welding" stainless

To: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@cstone.net>
Subject: Re: Welding vs. Brazing was "Welding" stainless
From: Steven Shipley <shiples@home.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 22:09:55 -0700
R. John Lye wrote:

> At 06:24 PM 8/15/00 -0500, jmark.vanscoter@amd.com wrote:
> >P.S. Enroll in the program, there is no substitute for direct training from
> >an expert. That's why we have teachers and professors...
>
> I wish I could - the local technical school no longer teaches welding...
>
> R. John Lye
>
> rjl6n@cstone.net
They still teach welding at my local community college.  I'm going two
nights a week and it's great.  The class is a mixed group taking a
variety
of welding classes.  And a great group of students.  An architect, an
artist,
apprentices from a variety of trades, a retiree, and me!

As part of a class you get access to a wide variety of tools.  Shears,
brakes,
saws, punches, etc.  It looks like the tuition is worth it in access to
the
machinery alone.  On Wednesday, we had a demonstration of the plasma
cutter.
Since we can work on our own projects, the artist immediately made about
20
12 x 18 inch panels with a freehand design to create a piece of garden
art.

Needless to say I'm pretty pleased with the program.

Steve Shipley
Seattle, WA.