Re: Water through expansion joint

To: "William C.W. Lamb" <chip@wmsbrg.com>
Subject: Re: Water through expansion joint
From: Richard George <rkg@teleport.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 06:33:40 -0700
William,

Was this an added floor or what?  the way foundations are "supposed" to be
built is
to have sufficient drainage, slope (usually away from the structure all
around), etc,
so you never have the opportunity for significant moisture to actually get to
the foundation
wall, under the floor, etc.,.  my first guess is that you have something like a
plugged or
collapsed drain tile, or there's something about the construction of the
structure that
needs to be looked at (contractors are notorious for not doing "enough" in this
area...)
(you're at the base of a hill, there's some sort of underground "stream" that's
bubbling
up under your structure when it rains, etc,.).

An interceptor trench (french drain, or whatever you did) usually only does
some good when
the water is rolling along the surface toward your foundation. If there's
something like a
sand layer pointed at the base of the foundation, that should have been taken
care of by the
drain tiles.

As usual, YMMV on all of this - I'm no contractor or P.E. in this field, I've
just learned some
trying to stop this sort of problem on several houses I've owned, helping out
relatives/friends
with this problem, etc.,.  Be aware that you might want to contact a "real"
expert on this sort
of thing (call some of the local structural engineering firms, you can usually
get a competent
referral...) - there is a real conflict of interest on the part of the
contractor doing the foundation...

Good Luck,

rkg
(Richard George)