Re: a weighty question

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: a weighty question
From: "Tw Cook" <tw@texas.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 22:27:43 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2000 8:00 PM

> At 04:23 PM 7/10/00 -0700, Steven Shipley wrote:

> I know there are youngsters that would love to learn how to do thing.
> It's unfortunate that in todays urban socity, that most places will NOT
> let you even change your oil at your appartment, townhouse, or in your
> drive way!
>
> I got my Ham radio license when I was 13 (now 51) and started playing with
> lbc when I purchased my 67 Spitfire new in 67 - I was 19.  I used to have
> cars (mostly lbc) lined up in the driveway and the street at my dad's on
> Sat. morning to help other kids learn how to fix them.  The point to this
> is that most of this - which has made me what I am today - is almost
illegal.
> You can't have any outside antennas for the Ham radio, and I've already
> mentioned not being able to change your oil.  No wonder there are so few
> craftsman left.  The society has outlawed them!

I'm glad I don't live in a place like that! I am blessed with at least a few
legacy tools (a couple from a great-grandfather, a few from a grandfather,
and quite a few from my father), and one son (11) who is mechanically
inclined, able to rebuild small engines and maintain his go-kart, etc. and
who appreciates tools well enough to have worked hard to save up and buy
some good tools of his own. My 9 year old doesn't have the mechanical gift
that the eldest does but is starting to get interested anyway. Luckily we
live in a neighborhood that's pretty flexible so the various tractors,
go-karts, lawn mowers, golf carts and other things in various stages of
being rebuilt don't seem to bother anyone.

At least I know where my tools will go someday, and that they'll see use and
be appreciated...

Tw