car hacker lists?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: car hacker lists?
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 12:47:25 -0700

Anyone know of mailing lists devoted to hacking/understanding the
electrical systems of cars?   I know there used to be a list run by
John DeArmond which dealt with do-it yourself fuel injection and similar
issues, but he dropped off the net five or six years ago and closed the list.

Modern cars have computers (and networks!) which are getting pretty
powerful.  Some GM vehicles have mini-"black box" data recorders which
record the last N seconds before a crash.  This info is then given to
the insurance companies "in aggregate only".

More and more cars are coming with systems such as OnStar, which
combines a cell phone and GPS and ties into the car sensors, so that
for instance their service center operators can call your car if it's
in an accident... I'm interested in finding out what else they track.

Thanks.

--
 Eric Murray www.lne.com/~ericm  ericm at the site lne.com  PGP keyid:E03F65E5