Re: Sign-o-the-times

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sign-o-the-times
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 17:09:01 -0500
At 02:46 AM 3/11/2000 EST, Duncan120@aol.com wrote:

>>And listen you should.
>Older people are a great resource, and everybody wins.

   You nailed it Ron!  Gotto tap into the experience of the past to better
understand how to handle the challenges of the future.  For many years
before I retired I'd sit in briefings on upcoming military operations and
ask "What happens when the power goes off?"  Much of the time I'd catch the
young briefers completely off guard, since they'd never considered it.

   I've found a tremendous resource in the land speed racing community.  I
gave birth to the notion of a land-speed list about 18 months ago after
another frustrating winter of working on my Gas Coupe project without any
outside assistance.  I managed to simply overdo everything safety related on
the car and breezed through tech inspection the first time out, but it
would've been so much easier to tap into the knowledge that the "Geezers"
have from their years of experience.

   In the past couple days they've suddenly started sharing their memories
and planning to have annual "Geezer-get-togethers" at Bonneville.  At 40 I'm
just a young pup, but it's always wonderful to hang out with them and bench
race at LSR events.  Thanks to the list we've had electronic bench racing
sessions every day and have built an awesome base of experience to handle
technical questions.

Chuck Rothfuss
Chief Warrant Officer, USMC, Retired
"Skipper", USS Wankel, '71 RX510 E/Gas Coupe
East Coast Timing Association #9
Pole Cat Hollow, NC