Re: Stuck bolt

To: Chris Heerschap <Heerschap@eng.kns.com>
Subject: Re: Stuck bolt
From: "B. Vibert" <blur@ican.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 17:35:45 -0500

Chris Heerschap wrote:

> L Smith wrote:
> > Funny that you mention the starter motor trick but when I called the local
> > Toyota shop asking for suggestions on how to get the crank bolt out of my
> > Supra, thats what the shop mechanic suggested.  I never did try it because I
> > managed to get it with a long breaker bar but its a good idea.  One thing it
> > does is alleviate the problem of locking up the engine to keep it from
> > turning as torque is applied to the bolt.
>
> One other trick I've heard which might not be as effective is this:
>
> Put the car in fifth, have someone stand on the brake.  Then go to it
> with the breaker bar.  The transmission, in fifth gear, will have a
> minimum torque multiplication and the brakes should easily hold the
> motor from turning.

I tried a variance of this once, put it in fifth, put on the hand-brake as I
was alone. Unfortunately the car just dragged the rear wheels (stupid
front-wheel driver). I then called a friend of mine who is the local British
car guru and he recommended using the starter motor and a long breaker bar
which worked fine. Guess this is the best method if you can't get a monster
impact wrench in there.

Burl Vibert
Kingston, Ontario