Re: OK, then...whose ratchets?

To: thom kuby <thomkuby@iwvisp.com>
Subject: Re: OK, then...whose ratchets?
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 00:44:58 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, thom kuby wrote:

> "if it's in your hand alot - get the best,   Otherwise learn to live with
> the tradeoffs".
> I intend to buy (soon-like right after the holidays) Snap-On ratchets in
> 3/8 and 1/4 drives, as these are the most frequently used pieces in my
> cabinet.  I can live with other lines of wrenches, screwdrivers etc...but
> ratchets? I have a real thing about good ratchets now.  I've heard and read
> some good things about Facom. Any comments there? how about any other
> high-end quality ratchets? any other reccomendations?

I'd have to recommend _not_ buying the snap-ons.  most of them are 30
tooth ratchets, and the q.r.s are 20 tooth.  the round heads are some
weird number, like 47 or 49.  but more importantly, the non-round head
reversing levers are _painful_ to use.  I kid you not.  the lever on my
1/4" snap-on is so stiff and so small ans so *pointy* that it actually
hurts to switch the direction, and sometimes I can't change it by hand.
the bigger lever 3/8" is only slightly better.  haven't used the 1/2" or
round head ratchets, so I can't say.  I _can_ endorse the facom ratchets
though.  ultra nice.  the s-k tuff-1 ratchets have the same internals.
the handle and ability to apply in line pressure on the facoms are the
only differences.  it boils down to personal preference, methinks.  I
think the s-ks are a little more positive when reversing direction, just
slip your thumb up and push.  I think the facoms are _slightly_ (like a
buck or two) cheaper.  be sure to get the 161 series/palm control
ratchets--facom has another line and the new catalog lists s-k only.  so
if you were to go to you local s-k guy and ask for facom stuff and he
isn't into facom you might have a problem.  ask for a '97 catalog, or 161
series ratchets, or order from mytoolstore.com.  he sells me some facom
stuff and is a good guy (at least I always get the same guy).
ultimategarage.com also sells facom stuff.

hope this helps

scott