Re: The Ideal Shop HELP

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The Ideal Shop HELP
From: "Tw Cook" <tw@texas.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 13:57:02 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Miller" <markm@tutsys.com>
To: "Jack W Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>; "Eric Murray" <ericm@lne.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 1999 12:51 PM

> There are many things that can be done easier without the computer's
> assistance.  I find that the best way to figure out floorplans or layouts
in
> general is to do it with paper.  Make a floorplan at a reasonable scale,
not
> too small but small enough to fit on a table, and cut out pieces to scale
> for all your 'furniture' - stationary tools, shelving, workbenches, etc.
> Then just move them around until it is 'right'.

I've used a number of packages; Visio is pretty good, and at least has the
advantage that you can use it for a lot of stuff beyond floorplans. However,
Mark is right, there is nothing faster or easier for planning than cutting
out pieces of graph paper.

> And I'd like to add: I too hate anyone with multiple thousands of
> square feet of workshop space.  I just downsized to a garage that is under
> 150 square feet from a 20x20 that now seems downright spacious.  (but the
> house is bigger and the neighborhood has great schools - wow, have my
> priorities shifted in the last decade or two!!).

Boy, me too! My little corner of the garage keeps shrinking; the barn is
full of done and waiting to be done projects, and my "shop" has ended up
being an 8x10 slab off the side of the driveway. Luckily here in Texas I can
work outside most of the year but it sure would be nice to have a real shop.

Tw