High-temp paint

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: High-temp paint
From: Chris Heerschap <Heerschap@eng.kns.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 14:10:01 -0500
> I've been looking for a reliable high temp. paint for an exhaust, if
> possible in a can, as I have found that one standard size aerosol
> can will provide two coats coverage to my muffler system.  I found
> this out by painting with 1200 and 1500 degree rated paints which
> both failed me and flaked off during the first drive test.  I'm not up
> to stripping this exhaust down to bare metal too many times more,
> but the only promising product I've found so far is sold by the gallon,
> and at $100 a pop.  Anyone know of an economical product out there
> that will actually endure real world exhaust temps?  I've called
> everywhere in town, and all I get is oblivion on the other end of the
> line.
>   Color options in grey or silver would be real nice too.  :)

Griot's garage has a high-temp exhaust paint which they say won't
flake... plus they have a lifetime warranty, so that might be worth a
shot:

        http://www.griotsgarage.com/

Also, Eastwood has a couple of high temp brush on paints which seem to
be similar to the Griot's stuff:

        http://www.eastwoodco.com/

I haven't dealt with either of them.  I personally tried Plasti-Kote
Ultra High temp 1500 degree "aluminum" paint.  What crap.  Took my
time with it and did a nice job and it flaked off almost immediately.

The best part about the PlastiKote crap was that the guy who was
following me as I drove away got a great kick out of the silver "pixie
dust" coming out behind my car as I drove... flakes of paint getting
caught in the turbulence, flying behind me.  *sheesh*

Stay away from the PlastiKote.

cmh
--
Chris Heerschap - UNIX Systems Mutilator/Postmaster