HVLP Gun

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: HVLP Gun
From: nogera@juno.com
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 00:32:53 -0600
Having received a lot of  good advise and suggestions from this list I
thought I'd post a great fine .
Last week I was preparing to spray a car for my daughter and thought I'd
replace my HVLP gun which  was now relegated to primer duty.  I went by
the local HF store and they had a HVLP gun for 69.00  ( KU 5726)  which I
bought.
Before shelling out a couple of hundred for a new  color coat HVLP gun I
tried the new HVLP with color on a couple of fenders and WOW !!!!   This
gun shot the color better than my conventional gun and I did my daughters
VW ( inside and out ) with less than 3 quarts of paint.
No it not as good as a $400 gun but for painting a car once ever couple
of years  its all I need .
I would not recommend it if you do not have a at least a 10 CFPM @ 90 psi
compressor  as it consumes more air than my DA sander.

Now for a question . How do those guns convert 90 psi to 10 psi without a
lost in volume ?  I could see if the gun had a big chamber attached  but
even if the gun was totally hollow I can't see it dropping the PSI from
90 to 10.
Also is the canister pressure the same as the head pressure ?   I used a
 gauge on the line to the canister to set the pressure at 9 PSI, input
was about 80 psi   and found that the gun sprayed great at that setting .

Bob Nogueira  ( who has no relationship, financial or otherwise with
                          Harbor Fright  but might be open to an offer )