Re: ceiling material

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ceiling material
From: Richard Beels <beels@technologist.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 14:20:47 -0400
I would use the cheapest white stuff you can find.  I had a neighbor who
had a TON of flimsy ceiling tiles he was throwing out.  I took them and put
them up in my old garage.  Had to buy some washers for the drywall screws
but that was about it - soft tile and the screw would go right through
it.  If you get flimsy stuff, just use more screws to spread the weight of
the tile to more fasteners.

I would go ahead and screw this up to the joists and forget about it.  One
to thing to note about sheet rock - the weight really isn't that much of a
disadvantage when it comes to dead load - it adds strength and rigidity to
a structure, increasing its load bearing capabilities.  Of course, the the
ceiling wouldn't be that much but FWIW......

At 01:35 PM 7/29/99 ,  robert c noguiera was inspired to say:

>First, of all the newsgroups and mailing lists I have subscribed to over
>the years this as got to be the best group.  Never any spam, or flame
>wars and always lots of good advise.
>Second  thanks for all the good advise on safety wire. I think I've sur
>come to the complexity of modern life when " twisting  it' seems too
>simple.
>Third ;
>After 9 years I need to finally finish out the interior of my garage.
>Since I use the garage  attic for parts storage I'd like to keep the
>weight of the ceiling material to a minimum.  ( rules out sheet rock ) .
>While at the lumber yard I saw some "Bath Board" which is a 1/8th inch
>press board with a white coating on one side. This would appear ideal
>since it would not need painting, is washable and comes in 4 X 8 sheets .
>Problem is the label says to apply over a solid surface. Anyone familiar
>with this stuff?
>Any suggestions for a light weight ceiling material ?
>
>Thanks again
>Bob

Cheers!