Re: Pop rivet question

To: Tom Shirley <tshirley@voyageronline.net>
Subject: Re: Pop rivet question
From: Derek Harling <derek.lola@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 15:10:43 -0400
Tom Shirley wrote:
> I discovered that instead of allowing the riveter head to bottom out against
> the rivet after every stroke, I could raise it up a little. Then when I
> squeezed the handles again, the riveter would grasp the rivet and move down
> against the rivet taking up the "slack".

Woah - slow down a minute - if you want a good joint you must keep the
riveter head in firm contact with the rivet and the rivet with the top
surface being joined.

Things to watch for a good rivetted joint -
 - holes must be 'clean', some say reamed
 - holes must be in line, use Clecos
 - holes must be deburred on both sides of both sheets
 - both sheets and both ends of rivet must have good solid contact
 - rivet stem must be retained in finished joint
 - finally -
 - fast extrusion of the rivet gives the best "set" - this is the
biggest advantage of an air riveter - although I agree ease of use on
multiple rivets comes a close second!

Derek