kobalt/snap-on?

To: "'shop-talk@autox.team.net'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: kobalt/snap-on?
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 16:42:43 -0400
oh knowledgeable ones,

I've been looking for my dream set of wrenches.  I'm looking for combo
wrenches, 6-point on the box end, and I want the open end to have a 4-sided
contact, instead of the usual two with a curved bottom.  five-sided would be
great, but I don't want to ask for too much.  I've got some s-k flare wrenches
and sockets and they're great, but they don't make this wrench.  facom, the
other tools I have, don't either.  from the checking I've done, the only ones I
could find were matco, but they're the most expensive locally (~$37/wrench),
and the guy said 6-point only goes up to 3/4 in., and to be honest, I don't
want to give the local matco guy dollar one anyhow.  I don't know about mac,
and last I knew snap on didn't have them either.  but today, while in home
depot, I happened to look at their tools, 'kobalt'.  yes!  the kobalt wrenches
are exactly what I've been looking for.  the thing is, I swore off buying
cheap(er) tools and I don't know about their quality.  on the back of the
package it says kobalt is manufactured by a division of snap-on.  are these
snap-on seconds?  same quality as snap-on, just cheaper because home depot
orders in lots of 10 million?  the kobalts do seem a little thicker around the
box ends, meaning lower quality steel, but I could just be too skeptical.
thinking I'll get what I pay for, I'm skeptical about their price, but I
thought I'd question the list first.  so:

a) anybody use kobalt and like them, or know more about them (the kid there was
no help)?

b) anybody know if I can get these wrenches from snap-on?

c) anybody know where I can order matco online/cheaper?

d) anybody know of another company they'd recommend that makes these type
wrenches?

thanks guys

scott