Re: Question on Brands

To: Duncan120@aol.com
Subject: Re: Question on Brands
From: Roger Gibbs <rgibbs@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 11:10:34 +0000
Duncan120@aol.com wrote:
snip
> I buy used industrial tools (drill press, grinder, buffer, etc.). The prices
> are usually much lower than a new consumer item and the quality 10 times
> better.  The most I ever had to replace was the bearings.
snip

> Ron
I would second what Ron suggested.  Of course only you can determine if this is
up
you alley or not.  Some people like this, some don't, and occassional you wil
find a
tool which is not financialy practical to rebuild.

It is my observation that Craftsman tools have made the complete transition to
"off-shore" manufacture facilities for their power tools.  The quality seems to
have
suffered as a result.  Sears used to have Emerson Electric build most of their
power
tools.  Over the years they have switched more and more to off-shore until only
the
table saws and vacuums where by Emerson.  Then they switched those over as
well.  As
a result, Emerson made a deal with Home Depot to market vacuums and table saws
under
the "Ridgid" brand name.

Delta seems to be doing the same thing. Their grinders and their drill pressess
have
name plates which indicate the the source is off shore.

-Roger