Re: painting fans

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: painting fans
From: Douglas Shook <dshook@usc.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 17:35:25 -0700
Trevor Boicey writes:

> I just finished putting up a half-assed plastic spray
> area inside my garage. All sources seem to point to having
> an exhaust fan blowing in for painting, but how would
> I go about setting this up in a normal garage? I don't
> exactly want to spent a lot of time installing a fan
> and cutting the vinyl siding just for this.
>
>   Ideas?--

I have just returned after three weeks, so I apologize if this was
discussed while I was away, but if you are using a fan to exhaust paint
fumes, I would want to make certain that the fan motor and associated
electrical components are totally enclosed (no sparking). These motors
tend to be much more expensive than the typical open-frame motors, but
it may keep the roof on your shop.

Using an intake fan should not require this precaution as you would only
pass "clean" air.

doug