Sand Blasters (branched off of the monthly compressor thread)

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Sand Blasters (branched off of the monthly compressor thread)
From: Ken Landaiche <ken_landaiche@dlcc.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 14:16:06 -0700
I recently used a sand blaster for the second time to make some funky
half-shafts look like new metal. A sand blaster is some tool for
restoration! And I want one. The one I used was very simple, just a
cylindrical tank for the sand, a siphon hose from the bottom of that to
a handle, which also had the hose from the compressor. I ran it with my
friend's million horsepower Sears compressor and found that I had a
minute or two to blast before the tank ran down enough to halve the
blaster's effectiveness, waited for the tank to fill, etc. The owner
also said the blaster's ceramic tip was very worn, cutting the unit's
effectiveness.

So what should I look for in sand blasters? I would much rather have a
cabinet to contain the sand. But does that limit me too much? In the
'70s I used a blast cabinet once at the university metal shop. What
media might a restorer find need for? You know, tell us all.

Ken Landaiche

PS Should I have posted this to Sansblasters@autox.team.net?