Re: Setting up shop

To: ode@ihug.co.nz
Subject: Re: Setting up shop
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 18:05:37 -0700 (PDT)
Hamish Hubbard writes:

> Air - Clearly a 5hp compressor is needed to run air tools. By my
> calculations this is too much for the standard household wiring to
> supply which is 2400W (5hp roughly equals 3500W?). Also I only have free
> access to a 2HP compressor. So, I would have to get another circuit
> installed plus a big outlay for the compressor and tools. I may be
> forced to go with electric tools by the cost, which I was hoping to
> avoid. I am hoping the compressor will be big enough to paint my
> car (it is small - a Mini - so running out of air is less of a problem).

I run air tools and small paint guns for motorcycles off
a 2hp compressor.  I don't think that I can use HPLV paint
guns, or air sanders that require 11cfm.   But for air
impact drivers (the best reason for air IMHO) and other
tools like air ratchets and small die grinders, it works ok.
I even sand-blasted a motorcycle frame with this compressor, although
it was on the entire time and I didn't get as much pressure as
I would have liked.

You can always get the 5hp and extra power later if you decide
that you really need it.

--
Eric Murray  Chief Security Scientist  N*Able Technologies  www.nabletech.com
(email:  ericm  at  lne.com   or   nabletech.com)          PGP keyid:E03F65E5