Re: Leak-Down Testing

To: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Subject: Re: Leak-Down Testing
From: Berry Kercheval <berry@kerch.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 23:23:05 -0700
> More like $70 with the spark plug hole adaptors and freight but still
> a good buy unless you're a "twiddler"
> like me and have to try to make one (justifying shop existance and
> gaining brag rights)  for about 12 bucks.

Sure.  If you want to have a leak-down tester, just buy one.  If you dig
making things, go ahead.

It's like Aircraft Spruce's purpose in life:  Homebuilt aircraft.  They all say
if you want to fly a plane, just buy one.  If you want to build one go ahead,
but do it because you want to BUILD it, not to save money on flying.

Same thing with homemade tools, most of the time.  I can't make a screwdriver
as good as a Craftsman for $10 worth of my time.  But I can make a damn fine
one in an afternoon.  Not cost effective if all I want is to turn a screw, but
very satisfying if I enjoy the process.

  --berry