In defense of stainless steel fastners

To: "shop talk" <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: In defense of stainless steel fastners
From: kengano@advant.com (Gano, Ken)
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 22:57:10 -0500
Granted, stainless steel bolt are not as strong as grade 5 or 8 steel, they
are stronger than the grade 2 used in most non-critical applications.

Every fastener has its application, and where life and limb depend on it, of
course, use the appropriate one, but for non critical applications,
stainless steel has some redeeming qualities.  Not to mention, it looks
good.  They are a little stronger, they, at least when its stainless steel
to stainless steel, will always come apart and they tend to be a little more
consistent quality.

If my butt aint depending on it, I'll take ss anytime.

kengano@advant.com
downstate illinois
1959 TR3A TS57756L
1958 Model 10 Sedan TBE9239LDLB