Re: lifts

To: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: Re: lifts
From: Berry Kercheval <berry@kerch.com>
Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 22:11:14 -0700
I learned something about lifts the other day when George Colgett put my
T-Bentley on a lift in his Hayward shop to help me find a noise in the rear.
I saw a little wire running the length of the lift and asked what it was for.

It seems that one day they were working on a Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud,
and as it went up the lift the door opposite the lift operating station
came open.  Silently, of course, this WAS a Rolls.

One the other side of the lift was a room built inside the shop for parts
storage, with an overhanging ceiling used for storage.  The door of the
Rolls rose into the overhang and went CRUNCH.  Not silently, but expensively.

The NEXT DAY the wire was installed to shut the lift off if an obstruction
rose into it.

So folks, when you are working your lifts make sure the lift path is clear and
nothing is going to swing open and make expensive noises.

  --berry "tosspot" kercheval