Re: calipers or mikes

To: mliggett-receive-shop-talk@elise.kiva.net
Subject: Re: calipers or mikes
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 11:42:47 -0700 (PDT)
Matt Liggett writes:

> I'd like to be able to measure over a wide range.  Currently I have a
> hand-me-down 1" mike which is nice but limited.  Instead of investing in
> a bunch of different micrometers, I thought a dial or digital caliper
> might be more useful.  I would use it mostly for measuring cranks, bores,
> cams and the like.

You're going to get a lot of replies like this, but basically
calipers aren't accurate enough to measure those things.

For bores, I use a bore gauge I got from Enco.  You need a bore
gauge to get accurage measurements at various points in the bore.
Nothing else will work.

--
Eric Murray  Chief Security Scientist  N*Able Technologies  www.nabletech.com
(email:  ericm  at  lne.com   or   nabletech.com)          PGP keyid:E03F65E5