Bending steel tubing?

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Bending steel tubing?
From: Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing <mikel@ichips.intel.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 16:00:22 -0800
Hi all,

I'm looking for some help with bending tubing.  I'm trying to make something
which will require some sharp successive 90 degree bends in tubing.
I will be using some tubing ~1-1.5" o.d. (undecided) 1/16"-1/8" thick.
The two 90 degree bends will be about 3" apart, and perpendicular to each
other.  I would also distort the tubing as little as possible.

I understand a mandrel bender would be the best route, but I don't happen
to have one in my garage...  The only thing I can think of doing is to
clamp down two pieces of heavy rod in my vise, heat the tubing to cherry-red
with an oxy-act torch, and then bend it using the rod.  But I think this
will seriously distort the tubing.

Can anyone recommend a better way to accomplish this?

Thanks,
Mike