Hoists

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Hoists
From: Keith Kaplan <keithka@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 16:37:50 -0800
What's the consensus on car hoists?  Specifically, how about the AutoLifters
hoist I've seen advertised in Hemmings for $1995 that runs on 110 and hoists
7000 pounds?  What kinds of features/specs should I look for in a hoist?

It seems like there are just two major styles -- the roll-on ramp type
lifts, and the frame lifts.  I'm only interested in the frame style lifts,
because I'd like to be able to work on suspension & brakes, etc. while the
car's on the hoist.  I like the above ground units that grab from the sides
because they seem easy to install and don't have anything in your way under
the center of the car, which will be handy if I ever get around to pulling
the tranny on my 2002.  High capacity isn't really important to me.  The
heaviest thing I can foresee owning and needing to hoist is a tow van or
pickup, and even the big ones don't weigh over 7,000 lbs, do they?  For a
few hundred dollars more, AutoLifters has a hoist that can lift 9,000
pounds, but I don't know if I really need that.  I have a 10' 6" ceiling in
my shop, so clearance isn't much of a problem either.

keithka