Re: new toy

To: markm@tutsys.com
Subject: Re: new toy
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 17:20:03 -0700 (PDT)
Mark Miller writes:

> Hi.  I bought a cheap electric chain saw (Why?  I still don't really know,
> except that I've always thought I should have one) and have some lube
> questions.  It said to use their brand of chain saw oil.  What should I
> really use?  10W30? 30W? Other engine oil?  2 stroke oil?  And for the bar
> end grease: standard moly? lithium? just spit on it now and again?

When I was in the Forest Service and using chainsaws a lot, we
used a mix of el-cheapo motor oil and kerosene for chain oil.
Now I use the same left-over two-stroke oil that I use to lube
my motorcycles' chains.

As for bar-end grease, I don't use anything at all.
Note that bars with roller tips can be run with a tighter
chain clearance than non-roller bars.

Has anyone seen 'brush bars'?   They have a enlarged bar
with no roller and a 'stinger' bolted to the end.  The bar
looks like a big loop, it's not solid like a regular bar.
You cut with the tip of the bar.  The advantage is that
you don't have to bend over to cut close to the ground.

--
Eric Murray  Chief Security Scientist  N*Able Technologies  www.nabletech.com
(email:  ericm  at  lne.com   or   nabletech.com)          PGP keyid:E03F65E5