Re: Solvents for parts washer

To: battmain@juno.com (B A Lyn Fatt)
Subject: Re: Solvents for parts washer
From: Steve Noe <stevenoe@box-s.nih.gov>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 15:10:56 -0400
At 01:35 PM 7/1/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Looking for a solvent to use with the  parts washer. I've been using
>Simple green, but it can't really do much with the really thick
>grease.
>
>Is there a solvent that will cut grease well and is also kind to the
>paint in the parts washer?

Brian,

I used an aqueous (water-mix) concentrate made by Hurri-Safe and
sold by Northern Hydraulic (where I got my parts washer).
It does not cut grease as well as Varsol or Kerosene and it loosened
the paint in the parts washer tub.  For what it's worth, the instructions
with the made-in-China parts washer said the tub was painted to
prevent corrosion until it was put in use by the purchaser. In other words,
the  paint is not expected to stand up to any solvent or the usual
wear and tear inside the parts washer.

Also, the pump failed, not UL approved, but you get what you pay for...

steve