Re: BOUNCE shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net: Non-member submission from [crus

To: shop-talk@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: BOUNCE shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net: Non-member submission from [crussell@San-Jose.ate.slb.com (Christopher Russell)]
From: Brian Kelley <bkelley@ford.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 17:53:40 EST
Christopher Russell writes:

> A little story about craftsman tools.  Be forwarned that basically
> only the handtools which are lifetime guarenteed.  Other more complicated
> devices with the craftsman name do not have the same guarentee... I
> would suggest you read the guarantees carefully.

I enter Sears through the doors that lead right into the tool dept.
Above the doors in massive writing:  "100% satisfaction Guarantee".

That sounds like a warranty to me.  Were you 100% satisfied?

> When I bought the wrench, I didn't like the look of the plastic handle,
> although the wrachet looked heavy duty enough.  It was the best wrench
> they had (in the store), so I figured it was OK.  Also I figured, hey
> its craftsman, I can take it back if it breaks.

A friend of mine was using his rather new Craftsman torque wrench to
check clearances on his new Carrillo connecting rods.  70 ft/lbs was
the spec.  The clearances were way off.  The cause?  The wrench was
only torquing to 55 ft/lbs.  Well they *look* accurate.

> P.S. Oh yah, can anybody suggest a source for a good torque wrench, that
> reliable enough for a home mechanic to use (i.e. I know a snap-on would do
> it but it would probably cost $400 or something).

It's hard to beat the elegant simplicity of the beam torque wrenches.

Speaking of which, anyone know where I can get a beam TR that is
accurate around the 7-12 INCH lbs. necessary to set pinion bearing
pre-loads?  People act like I'm from another planet when I ask for
such things..

  Brian

--
bkelley@ford.com