Re: Mini-garage...

To: "Richard George x 7247 (sun)" <rkg@etec.com>,
Subject: Re: Mini-garage...
From: bownes@emi.com
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 96 11:29:56 -0500
This all brings up the issue of the value of a shop when buying/selling a
house,
something I'd rather not contemplate at the moment, but circumstances at least
force me to look at, though not necessarily follow though on.

We bought a super house (at least we liked it...) in rural NY. 7 years old (9
now), ~acre of land, 30x36 3 bay shop. Great place, great workspace. The shop is
not heated or insulated, but some fiberglass insulation and sheetrock would
solve 1/2 of that problem rather swiftly. Heat we can cope with on an as needed
basis.

But doing the insulation & sheetrock is going to cost a heafty chunk of change
that could be really well spent on the racing budget. I figure it'll be
somewhere in the neighborhood of $1200 to insulate & rock the place. That's
$1200 I'll never see again, as it certainly doesn't raise the value of the
house
any, and we're in a badly depressed market.

I've been looking at houses in the market my erstwhile employer wants me to
relocate to (Tampa, Fl) and I'd be lucky to get a similar sized house on a
postage stamp lot, 10 feet from the neighbors for $50K more than I paid for
this
one... Never mind doing without the shop. Or I could buy an old place outside
of
town, which in the south, comes with a whole host of attendant problems I'd
rather not cope with. That or rent a warehouse someplace.

As such, I'm kinda resigned to the fact that the hobby I have chosen has
certain
financial *AND* lifestyle compromises. Picking up and moving easily is NOT one
of them, at least not without divesting myself of many of the things I do to
relax and enjoy myself. So, what to do? Kick back, pass up on the Big Time, go
out to the garage and wrench on a beer. My great aunt is probably rolling in
her
grave, but tough, it's time to pay the price of admission.

Boy has this one gotten off of the topic....

To bring it back, shop space is a compromise. I bought a house that included
it.
The last place I used ever square inch of an otherwise servicable 2 car garage.
In either case, something had to be given up to get there.

Anyone know of a good source for waste oil furnaces?

iii