Re: benches

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net, cak@aratar.com
Subject: Re: benches
From: "R.M. Bownes III" <bownes@emi.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 09:45:13 -0500
->The main bench has the 4-1/2" Wilton vise, and is set up according to
->the rule of thumb that puts the top of the vise even with your (my)
->elbow. This makes the surface a little bit low for me to stand andwork
->at, but a high stool helps.
->
->I recently realized that I'd like a third bench with an even lower
->surface height, for working on tall things - like engine blocks before
->they go on the stand.
->

I've got several benches, different heights for different functions.
The main workbench came with the garage - 3'x16' x ~34" high. Built in
a semi-island configuration (one short side against a wall) Right size,
shape, height for general purpose work. Vise mounted on one corner.
Grinder and drill press will go here as soon as I get them up from
Len's.

At 90 deg to that and 4 inches higher os a 6' segment of laminated,
preformed kitchen counter (the stuff with the back splash and from lip
moulded in.) for finer work. I'll get to mounting some light over it
Real Soon.

The lathe (4") sits on top of an old rolling metal bench. Constructed
out of welded angle iron and maple, it has a maple work surface and
back panel which I can hang lathe-only tools on (like the right size
wrenches, etc.) It's small enough to move if I have to, but rarely
does. The maple doesn't care about oil or much else.

The other bench that I've been using for a few years that I love is
a 4'x3'x3' crate with 4" casters I mounted on the bottom. Holds a bunch
of stuff and is solid as a rock. Rolls around the garage to wherever I need
a big surface. Teh movers hate it though. It held the lathe, drill press,
various manifolds, grinder, etc. Good 1000 pounds.

->The main problem with my current benches is that the surfaces are all
->wood - hard to keep perfectly clean. I've been thinking that I'd look
->for a piece of surplus stainless sheet to make a top for the rolling
->bench. Not long ago I was in a bar where they had covered the bar
->proper with galvanized steel - and that seems like a great idea that's
->probably cheaper than stainless. Notch the corners, fold the edges,
->run a little weld, voila.Punch through the top to mount a 3-1/2" vise,
->perhaps. (The other nice thing about steel is you can really hammer
->on it... a planishing table, if you will. Almost as good as an oak stump.)
->

Speaking of which, anyone got any good suggestions on finding a proper
stump for my anvil?

I've never liked using metal topped benches for several reasons, a)
they dent too easily and b) they get slippery. Wood gets dirty, true,
but they do get better life as far as I can tell. Every Old Garage I've
ever been in has wooden workbenches that have 50+ years on and are
still going strong.

The benches at Len's Garage & Software Hut are all of this variety. One
is a hardwood surface held up with BIG steel legs and understructure,
including a kicked back shelf underneath. You could park the VW of
your choice on this thing...(buses included!)

->I'd like a steel bench, maybe welded up from 1" square channel, for use
->outside near the parts washer - something to use as a welding table,
->ultimately. I've seen this kind of bench in welding shops, but never
->paid much attention to how they're  constructed or what's used for the
->top. Steel, clearly - but how to you keep it from rusting, and how do
->you afford thick steel plate? (And how is it fastened to the frame?)
->

I've seen a few good steel tops. the best steel plate top was held to
the base using countersunk machine screws with the nuts underneath.
That one had holes & slots strategically drilled to hold a head
fixture. It was the right height to sit at with a traditional wheeled
desk chair. Great for doing head work.