Re: [Nobbc] Removal of breather pipe? MGA

To: North Bay British Car Club <nobbc@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Nobbc] Removal of breather pipe? MGA
From: Mark Darley <markdarley@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 12:10:57 -0800
It has been suggested to me that removing the breather pipe on the
MGA will reduce the oil burned, and also that I should exchange the
oil cap for a vented one.

What is the logic on the breather pipe removal?  Is it simply that
oil in the rocker cover will then not get sucked into the carbs?

If I remove the pipe will I not have the under side of the bonnet
covered in a fine mist of oil? Doesn't sound attractive.

General loss of oil has been much improved by simply tightening
everything I could get my hands on!

The car is running much better for valve and float adjustment.

Thanks
Mark

Mark Darley
markdarley@mac.com