Re: LUCAS Voltage Regulators...

To: ebrown <ebrown@ms.com>, morgans <morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: LUCAS Voltage Regulators...
From: Joseph DeLuca <DELUCAJ@mops.wl.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 08:23:28 -0500
>>       Is your ammeter showing a charge at idle but less at higher speeds? I
>>       found that I had a short in my generator where the armature was
>>       slightly damaged and basically shorted out at higher RPMs as
>>       centrifugal force pulled the core away from its axis, touching the
>>       housing. Replaced the generator and the battery kept its charge. As in
>>       your case, the battery went flat while driving, although it was
>>       apparently charging while idling or spending some time in low speed
>>       traffic. Maybe that's not your problem, but it is worth a check.
>>
>>       Chip Brown

That's a good point Chip, and one I never considered.  Until the temporary VR
gets replaced with a brand new unit, however, I won't be able to check it out
properly.   With my old VR the battery actually discharged at idle.  I'm
serious when I tell you that the car's previous owner (not a car person)
thought the red light on the dash was a "low RPM warning light".

How the battery gets discharged during a normal day of driving is still a
mystery to me.  I don't recall the ammeter showing a discharge while driving.
Could be that the ammeter is misleading, although it is a pretty simple
instrument.

Thanks for the tip,

Joe D
'62 4/4