mini-baja

Weather for Mini-Baja West.

To: mini-baja@autox.team.net
Subject: Weather for Mini-Baja West.
From: Sam Drake <drake@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 18:18:21 -0600 (MDT)
It is a little early to know what the weather is going be at the end of
next week.  The seven day forcast for next Thursday is mostly cloudy with
highs in the mid 60's which is not too bad.  However, that was also the
forecast for today and is pretty much the way it was this afternoon --
maybe even mostly sunny.  However, this morning at my house in Salt Lake
near the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon, it was snowing and was even
sticking a bit on the hills at about another 500 ft in elevation (my house
is close to 5000 in elevation).  Anyway, the weather next week in Provo
could be absolutely beautiful -- 60's, 70's, sunny, etc.  However, it
could also be cold and rainy and it could even snow.  The only months that
I have not seen snow in the valleys out here are July and August.  Even
then you could always get enough hail to require snow plows.  Not common,
but possible.

Anyway, it would be smart to look at the weather forecast before leaving
and it would also be smart to bring warm clothes anyway including glooves,
etc.  I sent out a similar message last year for the race in Logan which
was a few weeks earlier and also in Logan which is typically colder than
Provo.  It was meant just as a "possible be prepared" warning.  However,
for those of you who were there, you will remember the lovely weather for
the Saturday event.  Cold steady rain with the temperature about 37
degrees.  Hopefully, that will not happen this year but again it would be
smart to be prepared.

Sam Drake
University of Utah

PS.  The following is my favorite weather site:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/Saltlake/