mini-baja

Drivetrain shields equivalency calc

To: mini-baja@autox.team.net
Subject: Drivetrain shields equivalency calc
From: "Mark Fischer" <fischerman19@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 15:01:55 +0000
We are a first year team and have a question for everyone.
Can someone explain to us how to perform an equivalency calulation for the
drivetrain shield material.  It says you use the area under the
stress/strain curve.  Do we use the area under the elastic region?  Do we
use the area under the entire curve?  It says at rupture so I'm assuming it
is under the entire curve.  It also says per unit width but stress is
already in area so all you have to do is multiple both by 1 in to get to
unit width.  Is this just for the sake of engineering or am I being stupid
here and have this all wrong.

Can someone possibly send me an example or tell me what they used and verify
that it is OK.  We're just looking at using 6061-T6 aluminum sheet to save
weight but have to make sure it is OK first.  Any responses would be
appreciated.

Mark Fischer
Marquette Mini-Baja