mgs

Re: polyurethane bushings

To: CraigsInOK@aol.com
Subject: Re: polyurethane bushings
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 17:46:27 -0400
Craig,
   Your mechanic is giving you good advice.   I've used the V8 bushings
in several MGBs and my TD.  They are a genuine improvement over the
standard rubber bushings.  Though the original bushings in the TD lasted
20 years or so, replacements are bilge and not worth installing even if
they were free.
   The V8 bushings give a tighter feeling but they don't seem to put
harshness through the suspension.  I've considered using poly bushings,
but as my current MGB is a GT and noise transmission into the cabin is a
consideration in these closed cars, I installed V8 bushings and am happy
with them.
   If you use them, be generous with anti-seize on the bolts, as some
have experience troubles later because the bolts have become stuck inside
the metal core of the bushing. I've not seen this, but it's got to be a
real hassle if they do get stuck.
   All these replacement bushings, V8 and poly,  fit right into the
holes. You don't have to be concerned about modifications that could not
be returned to the original type of useless bushings if you were ever so
inclined.
Bob