mgs

Re: Brake pad return

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake pad return
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 13:53:06 EDT
In a message dated 9/9/2005 1:44:38 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
wtsnyder@bellsouth.net writes:

I am  having trouble with overheating with my passenger front disc brakes
on my  '66 MGB. I have replaced a warped rotor on that wheel, but it
doesn't seem  that the pistons are returning all the way to allow free
wheeling with the  brakes not engaged. How much drag is normal on front
discs, if any? If the  pistons are not returning properly, I have seen
tech tips incriminating the  brake hoses. The techy says that if the
inside diameter of the brake hoses  is insufficient, it will not allow
fliud to return properly, thus not  allowing the brake pistons to return
far  enough.

If the brake hoses are too old then tend to collapse, trapping pressure in
the caliper.  If the hoses are old, I'd replace them first.  Even if  it
doesn't solve your specific problem--it might be your calipers are in need of
rebuilding--it still is a good safety move.

Jay Donoghue
72B-GT
66 Mustang