mgs

Re: Lucas 45DM4 Distributor

To: "Arthur Freeman" <arthurf@objectify.com.au>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lucas 45DM4 Distributor
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:27:44 +0100
I assume you mean there are no centrifugal advance springs in the 25D4
*distributor*.  There certainly should be, the electronic distributors used
the same centrifugal and vacuum advance principles as the points-type
distributors, the only difference was the solid-state trigger and amplifier
to fire the coil.  The only places I am aware of where you are likely to
find the correct springs is someone like John Twist in the USA, who fine
tunes them to get the correct curve for a given spec, or possibly Aldon in
the UK.  I have had dealings with someone in the UK who claims to use the
correct springs and supply the large UK parts houses like Moss and others,
but one he rebuilt for me only had one spring, an incorrect advance
stop-plate, and an incorrect vacuum advance capsule so he is nothing more
than a charlatan.  If he supplies Aldon also ... well, I leave it to your
imagination.

The 45DM4 electronic unit was considered very reliable compared to the
earlier 45DE4 unit, there are many still around, and the electronic modules
are still available from the likes of Transpo Electronics -
http://members.vpchat.com/hdr/MG-Archive/Aug2002/0255.html

If you still have the 45DM unit that would be the best bet, any 25D4
distributor is likely to have very different advance curves and whilst all
can be retarded to prevent pinking you will probably be losing both
performance and economy.  If you add a Pertronix to a 45DM4 (or 45DE4 for
that matter) you will have to fit the very flexible ground wire between the
points plate and the distributor body such as the 25D4 uses or it will not
work properly.  With a ballasted coil you will also probably have to wire a
full 12v ignition supply to the Pertronix +ve instead of connecting it to
the coil +ve.

PaulH.