mgs

Re: Oil for Overdrive Transmission

To: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Oil for Overdrive Transmission
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:43:27 -0500
HI Don,

    No matter what oil you use, a ridge will develop at the top of the
cylinder over time.  That's because the rings don't travel all the way
to the top.  The point of maximum wear is at the top of the ring travel
because that's where the top compression ring is when the max cylinder
pressure from firing occurs.  It's the pressure of the expanding gases
in the cylinder that forces the compression rings against the cylinder
walls to seal the cylinder during the firing stroke.  The pressure is
greatest at or near the top of the rings' travel and decreases as the
piston travels downwards.  So there's more friction at the top of the
ring's travel.  The ridge is actually an unworn area of the cylinder at
the top.  The rings may break against the metal ridge on a an extremely
worn engine (I've had it happen) but the varnish isn't in the ring's
travel area.

   Cheers,

    CR