mgs

Problems above 3000 RPM

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Problems above 3000 RPM
From: "joe gorman" <gormanj@ywave.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 08:04:12 -0700
Help!

I have a 1974 MGB that I bought a few years ago, but haven't driven that
often.
It has a Weber DGV and Mallory dual-point distributor. The Weber is new. I
replaced
the old Weber this past spring and "think" I adjusted it correctly. The
alternator is a Delco
conversion and the fuel pump is electric. Last year, or about 60 miles ago, a
mechanic at a local British car garage installed new points and tuned the
engine.
I don't recall what the compression in each cylinder was, but it okay,
according
to the mechanic.

Yesterday was nice so I took it for a spin. Around 3000-3200 rpm, the engine
would
seem to miss or buck. I first noticed it in second gear, but it does the same
thing in first,
third and neutral (didn't want to try it in fourth). As I was revving it in
neutral, the I noticed
the oil pressure gauge would bounce about 10 psi. I've never driven the car
over 45-50 mph
or let it rev that high before, so whatever the problem is has probably always
been there.
Below 3000 rpm, it runs fine.

So, what may be causing the bucking or missing? I don't have a clue where to
start.

Thanks,

Joe Gorman
Yelm, WA