mgs

Re: Windshield Wiper Problem

To: matt.lists@trebelhorn.com
Subject: Re: Windshield Wiper Problem
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:53:48 -0400
Matt,
  If the wipers worked OK when you last used them, I would run through
the electric supply (connections, wires & switches) to look for
corrosion.
   Should that not be the answer, chances are that the old grease has
hardened and oil has dried out.  Follow the workshop manual's guide for
R&R of the motor and drive assembly.  It's pretty straightforward--you
first remove wiper arms, then remove the motor and the push-pull wire
core. You can oil one bearing on the motor shaft easily. Some drill a
hole in the motor case to drip in another drop onto the bearing at the
other end of the armature.  Clean and re-grease the cable, then
reassemble.  If you can get it in, some oil on the on which the arms are
mounted can ease their movement.
  Be sure to remove wiper arms first, as pulling out the cable will whack
the arms against the paint if they are in place.
Bob