mgs

Allison Xr-700 Elec Ignition Question

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Allison Xr-700 Elec Ignition Question
From: "Thomas J Pokrefke" <pokrefke1@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:49:31 -0500
The PO of my car installed an Allison XR-700 electronic ignition module in
my MGB.  There is, among others, a red and black wire coming out of the
control box: the red goes to the (+) side of the coil, the black goes to the
(-) side.

When turning the engine by hand, there is no change in voltage or continuity
from the black wire.  The ignition was on, and as the slits passed the
electric eye, I would have expected to see the a change in the black wire,
similar to points opening or closing.

Do I not understand the principle of the ignition circuit, or is something
else amiss?

Thomas