mgs

Low on power

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Low on power
From: Kendel McCarley <kmmccarley@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 21:37:39 -0700
By accident, I acquired a '72 Midget last week (I swear, it just
followed me home).  Tonight, I had it out for the first time, running a
few errands and getting about five miles from home.  On the way back, I
lost power and wasn't able to get over 40 mph.  At a stop light it died.
 When I started it back up as the light turned green, I returned to full
power for a while until turning left and I went down again.  Lots of
blue smoke on starting it back up.

This is my first experience with an SU carb car and I'm at a loss where
to start with it.  The car might not have been run much during the last
five years in storage.  I haven't done a compression check on it yet and
don't know if I've got a ring not sealing or what.

It reeks of gas when driving along.  I'm just running the gas that came
in the tank when I bought the car.

I hear the floats sink in the carbs when they leak, but I don't remember
the symptoms they're said to have.

What's a good check list to work on tracking down the problem?

 - Kendel