mgs

RE: lubrication question

To: "'Larry Colen'" <lrcar@red4est.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: lubrication question
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:40:55 -0700
> On the lower A-arm, there is a bolt that goes through both long A-arm
> pieces and the trunion. There is a sleeve between it an the
> trunion. This bolt and sleeve have fused, wich means that both the
> bolt and the sleeve rotate in relation to both the A-arm and the
> trunion, though I suppose that they could remain fixed to the A-arm.
>
> Anyways, do folks put some anti-sieze between the bolt and sleeve?
> Grease? WD-40? or do they just let them eventually become as one?
>
> Any other tricks I should know about in there?
>
>    Larry

Larry:

The lower kingpin grease zerk is supposed to provide grease to this bolt and
sleeve.  Unfortunately most MGs did not get the loving attention they were
supposed to, which is actually a ridiculous amount of attention compared to
modern cars.

There is a trick to reduce this problem.  Take a grinder and grind through
the case hardening at the midpoint of the sleeve.  Continue around so there
is a shallow trough round the sleeve.  Then take a small drill and make a
hole from the bottom of this trough through the wall of the sleeve.

Grease can now get from the grease zerk, into the trough, then through the
hole to wiggle down between the bolt and the sleeve.  This is an old tip, so
there should be some documentation on the web.

Kelvin.