mgs

FW: BMC commercial diesel in to MGB (exact fit)

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: BMC commercial diesel in to MGB (exact fit)
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 09:21:45 -0800
David:

There was a Rubber bumper MGB fitted with this unit for sale on E-bay a
couple of years ago.  I was interested because my daily driver was a Dodge
TD pickup and I was used to finding diesel.

Luckily sanity prevailed.

The B Series diesel engine wasn't a very good engine.  Okay shoot me now!!!

The B series petrol engine, really isn't a very good engine either, so
converting it to run diesel didn't produce the best powerplant in the world.
These engines were used in canal boats and exported to the US for
agricultural applications.

I think it would be kinda cool to own one, just for the fun factor.  But the
feedback I got from farmers using the B series diesel engines in pumps and
other machines was that the engine was underpowered, heavy and tended to
have injector problems.  Many of them got switched out when parts supplies
wern't available.  There are similar problems with the Land Rover diesels
which is why there is a lot of interest in conversions.

Japanese manufacturers do have the lead in small diesel applications,
although the Europeans are starting to give them a run for the money.  I
think if I remember, the Mitsubishi turbo diesel was the popular Land Rover
light truck conversion.

I had a number of friends back in the 70s and 80s who installed Japanese
industrial diesel engines into trucks, as the US light duty diesels were not
up to snuff.  In fact now thinking about it, I think Mechanics Illustrated
did a how to series during the 70s on building a high mileage machine using
a Triumph Spitfire frame, Japanese diesel and plywood body.

Anyways.  I don't think the B series diesel is going to be a good starting
point.  But the concept of an efficient high mileage alt. fuel MGB is very
interesting.

Kelvin.