mgs

RE: manifold to catalytic converter joint, 79 B

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: manifold to catalytic converter joint, 79 B
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 19:00:11 -0500
> Any tips on tightening the cat-to-manifold seal?  Mine is coming apart
> again, and I just broke off one of the studs trying to put
> new nuts on.

I had repeated problems with this joint loosening on mine, resulting in the
gasket getting blown apart.  I became very efficient at stripping all of
that apart.  After several times of this, I chased the threads with a tap,
and used all new studs and nuts.  Never a problem since.  When those studs
get brittle from the heat, they no longer stretch like they need to in order
to keep the joint tight.

As for a substitute for the converter...IIRC the very early Zenith cars only
had cats in California, so in theory there should be a pipe section or a
different downpipe available.  Getting one is the next question.

Of course, there's always the 'modification' to the converter involving a
hammer and a piece of rebar.....

My '79 was that way when I got it, and I've never had any problem passing my
emissions test....with the air pump still injecting into the head.  With the
air pump off, it was always a fight.