mgs

Re: Intake

To: "Maynard Hirsch" <mghirsch@netzero.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Intake
From: "Rick Lindsay" <ROLindsay@Emeraldgrc.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 16:27:45 -0600
Maynard writes,

> Go with the SUs.
>
> Down draft Webers loose it at high rpms, side draft
> at low rpms.  (Or it's the other way around).

   Lets add to that that DCOEs were developed for racing
applications and suffer at low rpms because they are designed
and tuned only for the top end.  They are a poor choice for a
daily driver unless you drive in 'binary mode' like my rally co-
driver.  That is, either full throttle or full brake!

> Good SU's are trouble free, good at all rpm, and are very
> forgiving when it comes to differences in manifold vacuum.

   Maynard is right on track here.  Properly tuned SUs in
good condition are hard to beat.  I have some tricks for
helping SUs with vacuum leaks from worn shafts.  Give
a buzz if you find yourself in this camp.
   For completeness, let me comment about the Weber
DGV.  It is an economical and trouble-free carb but it is
NOT a performance carburetor.  It is ideal ZS replacement
for the LBC that gets all-but no regular attention.  Then again,
an LBC that gets no regular intention will fall apart in the
driveway!  Go figure.  :-P

best,

rick

///