mgs

Re: Reproduction License Plates

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Reproduction License Plates
From: Chris Thompson <ct@cthompson.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 17:50:46 -0500
On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Chris Thompson wrote:
> Here in Ohio, I can use 67 plates, as long as I provide them. That's all the
> law says. It doesnt say that they have to be original vintage 67 plates.
> I've done some digging and at least Delaware and Indiana allow repro plates
> to be used on vintage cars.

Of course, a bit more time on google and all this becomes moot. A closer
reading of the Ohio Revised Code showed me that I'm out of luck.

Not only do the plates have to be "Legible and issued by this state", they
can only be applied to "Historical Vehicles" defined as...

     As used in this section, "historical motor vehicle" means any motor
     vehicle that is more than twenty-five years old and that is owned
     solely as a collector's item and for participation in club activities,
     exhibitions, tours, parades, and similar uses, but in no event is used
     for general transportation.

Which, while I'm fairly certain I wouldnt end up ticketed for driving too
much, I do worry about invalidating my liability insurance in the case of a
wreck and suddenly finding out I didn't have any. (In ohio, driving without
insurance is an immediate mandatory 90 day suspended license, no
exceptions.)

So, I guess the question is retracted. :|