mgs

SU HS4 carbs on 68 MGB/GT

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: SU HS4 carbs on 68 MGB/GT
From: Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 15:06:08 -0600
Just as a followup, I wanted to update the list on the outcome since so
many of you offered very helpful advice to my carb problems.

First, on the problem of the needle valves in the float chambers sticking
open and gas streaming from the overflow pipes, I'm happy to report that
it is fixed.  Not a drop of gasoline from the overflow pipes.  The culprit
was apparently particles of dirt getting stuck in the Grosse jet valve
(which I replaced the original needle valves with).  After installing an
inline fuel filter and (once again) thoroughly cleaning out the float
chambers, the problem was solved.    No fuel pressure regulator was
required.

I also found that the reason the car had been so difficult to start and
run was because one of the jets was frozen stuck in its bearing in the
carb (this car sat in dry storage for over a decade).  Therefore, the carb
with the frozen jet was exceptionally lean and would not choke at all. And
the other carb was adjusted fairly lean anyway, so after disassembling
them, cleaning them, and replacing the frozen jet and bearing, I adjusted
the fuel/air mixture to a slightly richer setting.  Presto!  The car
starts easily (even on a frosty morning) and purrs like a kitten.  Even
cold, it revs up smoothely.   I love these SU's!  They are a marvel of
simplicity and reliable engineering if you just take the time to
understand what is going on inside them.  I think the mixture is now
slightly too rich, but I'll deal with that later.

Now I have a stripped down B/GT in primer with no doors or glass or
interior that runs pretty well.  I even took it for a short drive around
my cul de sac (slowly, since it has questionable brakes).  Thanks again
for the advice!