mgs

re: 3 Main Engines

To: <ct@cthompson.com>
Subject: re: 3 Main Engines
From: <SRegel@dpra.com> (Scott Regel)
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 10:51:18 EST
Hi Chris,

I had two 63's.  They ran great for years thru snow and muck...even use to do
a little grass sliding in a few fields (hehe!).  Both were used as daily
drivers and took several long trips 2-4 hours away.  Best cars I ever owned!
I only paid $300 for the first one and $350 for the second.  Didn't do any
engine work on them at all.  Had the second one up to 90 mph once.  Strong
engines as far as I can tell.  "Flame suit on!"  I agree that a five main is
a better engine duribility wise (just for firewall purposes I had to say
that).  Go for it...you'll love it.  Only draw back was no OD...what's a few
teeth...good thing was it keep you awake behind the wheel!  Actually that's
why I went to an older year because of the OD and the fact this list wasn't
available then to teach me how to add an OD.  Much better looking car too.
Less bells and whisles to go bad.  If you don't buy it let me know...I'll be
on my way with cash in hand!

Enjoy

Scott
76B
---------- Original Text ----------

From: "Chris Thompson" <ct@cthompson.com>, on 2/23/2001 10:40 AM:

Question,

I've located a 1964 pull handle roadster in "fantastic" shape. I'm currently
waiting for more info on it. It's for sale at a price that I like.

My 1973 is in limbo. When I bought it, ohio wouldnt let me transfer the
title because I couldnt show proof of Social Security Number. I had lost my
SSN card. (Never mind the card says it's not to be used as ID). So I waited
the requisite four weeks for a new SSN card to arrive, went to go move the
title, and the title is gone. Cant find it anywhere. And the guy I bought it
from sold it because he was moving "out west", And left no forwarding
address. I have no bill of sale, either.

So my plan was to buy the 64 and part out the 73. It should be pretty much a
wash.

My question is this... When I've read discussions of the older 3 Main
engines, the description of why the switch was made to 5 is a bit
harsh. Usually someone mentions that the 3main likes to "Whip itself to
death" and has poor durability.

I'm looking for a daily driver, here in Cincinnati, where there's currently
snow on the ground, and wet salty muck on the roads. We're also far enough
south that 100+ F temperatures are not unheard of in the summer.

What would I be getting into with a 3main? I've considered rebuilding the
18V in the 73 for placement in the 64, and rebuilding the 18whatever int he
64 and keeping it safe for whenever I wanted to remate them for authenticity
and sale. I'd probably convert to negative ground, as I want a stereo/mp3
player. And it would probably get Fiero Seats for comfort and headrest
speakers.

Oh, and my wife will likely kill me for buying another.

So if you great MGB gurus could give some 3main advice, I'd appreciate it.

| Chris Thompson                                      ct@cthompson.com |
| 1973 MGB                                    http://cthompson.com/mg/ |
| 1964 Pull Handle Roadster?????                                       |