mgs

Re: MGB Winter Question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Winter Question
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 12:54:19 -0700
At 11:28 PM 2/17/01 -0800, Charley & Peggy Robinson wrote:
>  Interesting that you should ask this question.  MY '69 B has a 180 deg
>thermostat in it year 'round.  I had the radiator rodded out and
>installed a new oil cooler and hoses when I rebuilt the engine last
>spring.  The engine doesn't reach normal operating temp (middle of the
>guage) when driven around town at outdoor temps under 60 deg F.  I
>covered the oil cooler and it _seemed_ to help but it may be wishful
>thinking. ..............

I hesitated responding to this one until Charley started off with
"interesting that you should ask this question". I have never used the oil
cooler cover, but I have covered about a third of the radiator with thin
cardboard when it got below zero (F) to keep temps up on long highway drives.

If I waited to drive my MG when it got above freezing, I'd never get to
drive it. Until today, I can't recall last time it got there but we
actually  finally have some thawing today. It might even be 40 degrees. A
sign that spring may only be a few months away  :)  At least my heated
garage is warm today so I'll be getting some more work done on my projects
(65 MGB, 80 TR7) in a little bit.

David