mgs

bought another MGB/overdrive/electrical problem?

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: bought another MGB/overdrive/electrical problem?
From: jphillips@cvalley.net (Julie Ann Phillips)
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 19:01:40 -0600
I  bought another MGB this past week a 79,can i call four cars a
collection?I bought this from a list member due to an add on the list.I
wanted to say it's the most honestly described car i've bought in years
from a gentleman named Bill Dillstrom.The car had previous electrical
problems evidenced by headlight switch from unknown source,various loose
wires under dash,unknown switch under hood,non working tach,possible
intermiten fuel pump working as we didn't get it running more the a
minute at a time and the fuel filter never did fill up with gas.And yes
it did have gas in it.
  I want to get it running and test the overdrive tranny to make sure it
works properly so calling all help i can get.Can i "bench test" the
trans somehow?Bill said he never used the overdrive but bought it from
someone who he trusted that had been using it.
  Sorry for the long post i just want the quickest way i can get the car
running and assure the trans is in good shape,i'll probably have to
change the wiring harness in the future..

Greg